Sunday, March 20, 2011

Burgers!

The thing I LOVE about veggie burgers is the creativity! Don't you? I mean what other dish can you make that always turn out great, the kids love to eat, and you can use up all the leftover little bits of things in the fridge? Which is exactly what I did. Veggie burgers were one of the things I used to seduce my children over to their 'mostly vegan' existence. The ones I made tonight are my favorite mix so far. Unfortunately, I never measure anything. BUT, a book I recently read called "School of Essential Ingredients" backed me and my anti-measuring ways up, by saying, really good cooks never measure. I don't even measure my bread ingredients anymore, and it always turns out the same. Which is wierd, because when I used to measure my bread ingredients, it turned out different every time. There's something about feeling and cooking that is so very integral. We ate the burgers with salad and corn tortillas. Here's what I used:
Half of a large onion, chopped very fine in food processor
2 cups walnuts, ground fine
5-8 cloves of garlic, chopped fine
Put the garlic in a warm pan and toast then add the walnuts and toast, then add the onions and cook till done
Next, add two cups of white beans, blended in food processor
4 Tablespoons ground flax seeds, let sit in half a cup of water for a few minutes
A few cups of cooked brown rice 2-3
2 cups of oatmeal, finely ground
Curry powder, chili powder, and smoked paprika to taste
1 can tomato Paste
Mash everything together and scoop using a large cookie scoop onto a hot griddle sprayed with Pam . Get your fingers wet and smoosh them down into a pattie shape. Cook both sides till done. My kids like them crunchy on the outside.
Seriously, though, make up your own recipe with whatever you have in the fridge and pantry!

No comments:

Post a Comment